Thursday, August 29, 2013

Formative Experiences in Florida in the Early Fifties


Here's a picture of the gasoline station my father purchased in 1951.

Dad was the kind of guy who never knew a stranger. Wish I had that attribute. He and Mom made friends with a Greek couple whose family owned a local deep sea fishing business. A part of their business was taking tourists on tours to demonstrate how they dove for sponges. Steve gave Dad an old sponge diving suit to hang in front of the station to attract tourists. We'd refer tourists to their dock. In exchange, we got to go deep sea fishing anytime we wanted for free.

Steve was 24, dark and handsome, and I had a crush on him. I was nine. He didn't have any children, so he doted on my brother and me. He went out of his way to ensure that we had a fantastic experience.

I'd heard tales of sea sickness, and was a little scared when we set sail on our first deep sea fishing excursion. Little did I know what a treat I was in for. Once we were in the Gulf of Mexico, out of sight of land, Steve excitedly called my brother and me to the front of the boat. He carefully lifted us over the bow so that we could see dolphins playing follow the leader along side. That began my love affair with these magnificent creatures.

Living in Florida for that year in the early 1950's formed who I would become in many ways. It was a part of my emerging into a fuller human being. It was a captivating experience. 

Something to ponder and share if you are willing: 
The early formative experiences I have had that contributed to me emerging into a fuller human being are...

An aside...twice in my adult life I've had an opportunity to swim with dolphins. What fun!!

"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."
Ernestine Ulmer


1 comment:

  1. I love how the feeling of being on the water when I was a child has never left my body. That feel of the boat moving under me --- ah.

    Nice memories.

    ReplyDelete